For those with limited time, or to get that primer experience of Kerala in one day, we recommend a day spent in the quaint area of Fort Kochi, in Ernakulam District. The imagery that is iconic to Kerala: The Chinese Fishing nets, the classic antiques of Kerala, well preserved colonial architecture especially from the Dutch era, but also remnants of Portuguese and British influence, all go to create a fantastic immersion for a visitor. This natural everyday life, coupled with displays of culture in the form of performances in cultural centres (Kathakali dance, Kalaripayattu Martial Arts) take you deep in your understanding and experience, while our guide fills you with stories of the past and present of Kochi.
Note: Accompanying officials including bodyguards, are charged the same way as tourists
- Visit the Chinese Fishing Nets and fish markets to set the tone towards discovering the port town.
- Enjoy a refreshing and leisurely breakfast or just get a cup of coffee at Kashi art cafe, a prominent art gallery and cafe on Burgher Street.
- Begin the day with a visit to ‘Bishop House’ to understand the history and influences that helped shape Fort Kochi into a bustling port.
- Proceed to visit ‘Jew Town’
- Heritage walk through the fabled spice markets, antique shops and Crafters antiqueshop which houses the largest boat on Bazaar Road in Mattancherry.
- We can also see the Jewish synagogue from the outside and get a sense of its beauty & architecture
- Proceed for lunch by 1:00 pm
- Post lunch we spend leisure afternoon of retail therapy at Fab India, nestled in an old home, Anokhi and Via Kerala located at Princess and Lily street.
- St Francis Xavier Church, a holy relic of the saint, who lays entombed at the Basilica of Bom Jesus in Goa
- Santa Cruz Basilica, one of the eight Basilicas, signifies the dawn of Christianity in India.
- Thakur Tea House,
- Poovar Palace (an old Dutch palace) by the beach
- Vasco Da Gama Inn
- If you're feeling adventurous we could hop on to a ferry to Vypin island like the locals do
- Go for the traditional Kathakali dance performance
- Overnight on a Houseboat
What is included in the tour
- Guidance by CultureRings ambassador
What is NOT included in the tour
- Personal Expenses: In case you choose to buy things along the way, you are encouraged to spend your own cash so that reimbursements aren’t invoiced to you with added taxes. Otherwise please let us know in advance if you would like us to pick up any bills along the way and invoice them to you in the end.
- Take in stunning views of Kangyatze Peak
- Reach the top of Kongmaru La (5200m)
- Enjoy the trail through Rumbak Village
- Vist Leh Palace
- Experience the charming Markha Village