This is a four-day tour that brings you to the holy pilgrim destination of the Jain religion, while you are also hosted by royal families of Bhavnagar and Palitana. You not only get to see the most magnificent temple architecture but also get an intimate view into the lifestyles of erstwhile royal families of the state of Gujarat, a federation of nearly 260 of India’s princely states.
Day 1: Bhavnagar
- 11:00 a.m.: Arrive in Bhavnagar
- Enjoy cookout/dining with the Royal Family of Bhavnagar
- Stay overnight at their palace, now converted into a hotel
Day 2: Shihor The Old Capital
- Start off with breakfast at the hotel in Bhavnagar
- Leave for Shihor, the old capital of the princely state, and see the temples and old architecture.
- Visit some metal-smiths engaged in old craft and art.
- Get a tour of the magnificent palace, now in ruins due to an ownership dispute
- Proceed to Palitana, the Jain pilgrimage destination which is well known for its intricate Jain architecture on clusters of temples built on a range of hilltops
- Overnight at Vijay Vilas Palace, the home of the Royal Family of Palitana
- VIjay Vilas, the Royal Home Stay at Palitana where you will be hosted
Day 3: Palitana
- Breakfast at Vijay Vilas Palace
- Visit the Jain Temples on top of the famous hills of Palitana (you may walk or be carried in an old-fashioned way by men on a sling seat)
- Return to Vijay Vilas Palace in time for dinner
- Rest and relax and have dinner
Day 4: Bhavnagar
- Depart from the hotel after breakfast to arrive back in Bhavnagar in time to catch your flight back.
What is included in the tour
We generally try to give a fairly accurate indication of the price of the whole package including guidance, with a buffer so most of the time we come back with smaller figures than you see indicated on the website. This is to establish the ballpark budgets we work with. Accurate estimates are offered only upon inquiry, checking availability, checking season prices, and after a detailed list of items has been drawn to be included in the customised itinerary. We normally include transport, guide costs, food, accommodation.
What is NOT included in the tour